Totally heart-warming, this vegan soup is all about balance. It has the spice of ginger and turmeric, sweetness of the Japanese sweet potatoes and the creaminess and richness of the coconut milk/cream. I hope you like it as much as Tashi did.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (I used Japanese sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp grated fresh turmeric or 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley
- Chop the sweet potatoes into cubes and put into a soup pan.
- Add water and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then turn heat down to simmer.
- Add ginger, turmeric and garlic.
- Mash through with a potato masher to break some of the sweet potatoes. (I like my soup chunky).
- Add the chickpeas and simmer for another minute or two.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Adapted from: Trinitys Conscious Kitchen
“Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living. For soup can do more to lift the spirits and stimulate the appetite than any other one dish.”
Louis P. De Gouy, ‘The Soup Book’ (1949)