Tashi requested for a vegan soup for tonight’s dinner. I told him I will fix him a bowl of sweet potato kale soup. Incredibly easy and fast to prepare I think you would also love this to keep you warm during these winter cold days.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil/olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- (1) 14 oz can coconut milk (I normally use coconut cream because I like my dishes creamy)
- (1) 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz chopped kale (1/2 of 16 oz bag, I used the rainbow kale – combination of green, red and Tuscan kale)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges
In a saucepan, over medium heat, add vegetable/olive oil and saute garlic and onions for about a minute. Add bay leaves, sweet potatoes, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Add coconut milk and diced tomatoes. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
Optional – Using a potato masher or a fork, mash about 1/2 of the cubed sweet potatoes into the broth to thicken.
Add chopped kale and very gently push down into the hot soup. Once all the kale wilts, simmer on low for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until kale is tender and tasty.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon to bring out the flavor of the sweet potato and kale.